[3830] ARRL 160 KG4IGC SO Unlimited QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 6 16:24:58 EST 2015

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: KG4IGC
Operator(s): KG4IGC
Station: KG4IGC

Class: SO Unlimited QRP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 7:41

Total:  QSOs = 92  Sections = 32  Countries = 0  Total Score = 6,080

Club: Swamp Fox Contest Group

Comments:

Did not put much effort into the 160 contest this year. Despite running assisted
and using a reader plus the cluster, I decided to try my hand at copying calls
and sections on paper. Was not easy, mind you...a lot of guys were sending at
30 WPM or faster. When I copied a call and section, I checked it against the
reader. I have to say, I did fairly well on most calls, but did mess up a few
calls.

All reports were sent by hand at about 18 WPM. I hope that one day I will get
to the point that I can copy by ear, but I am still a long way from being able
to compete like a purist. Spent all day Friday and Saturday working on cleaning
out my garage. Also sorted out a bunch of stuff for the upcoming Charleston
hamfest. By the time I hit the shack, I was not feeling much like playing
radio.

 Managed to work in some time to get my all but destroyed inverted L put back
together, so this was a nice opportunity to see if it worked. Tuned OK with the
rigs autotuner, but have not put it on the analyzer yet. Worked fellow
Swampfoxer W4IX John, who had a nice 5x8 signal at my QTH.

Bands were really busy with stateside stations, but I can only hear North and
South as that is the way my antenna is oriented. Might have to look into
putting up a second antenna for 160 at some point.Might use my loop as a
capacity hat on 160 and see how that tunes up, should be interesting. Many TNX
goes out to the folks who patiently pulled out my call.