[3830] ARRL 160 KU8E Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 6 19:03:43 EST 2015

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: KU8E
Operator(s): KU8E
Station: KU8E

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 7:37

Total:  QSOs = 500  Sections = 73  Countries = 6  Total Score = 80,422

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

K3-100 - KPA500 - Inverted L with 4 elevated radials

Not really in the mood to spend much time on the radio this weekend after the
hard work setting up the station at PJ4A last week for CQWW DX CW and then
doing the contest M2X with just 4 operators. Plus my radial and matching system
on the Inverted L at home needed some work on it. A good reason to maybe just
sit it out.

Saturday was a nice pleasant day down here in GA so on the way back from
dropping off my boys at a Boy Scout activity I stopped at the hardware store on
the way home and picked up a bunch of aluminum electric fence wire to replace my
radial system. After a couple hours of work I had 4 elevated radials, each about
132 ft long, about 8 feet or so up in the trees in the woods where my Inverted L
is located. The first test showed it was resonate a little low in the band was
good enough. Got on for about 20 minutes and knocked off about 50 quick QSO's
and then shutdown and took my wife to dinner. Got back on around 0215Z and
found a good frequency and it was off to the races. Had a couple good hours
approaching 150 QSO/HR before it started to die down. I started tuning for some
QSO's and multipliers when the rate died.

Didn't hear any EU stations at all with the exception of DF2PY and a CT1, who I
heard calling and working a station in New England. It never really improved at
all at EU sunrise. I managed only one EU QSO with GW4YDX at 0726Z. I dream of
the day that we get an opening like all you east coast guys talk about on 3830
working hundreds on EU stations during a single 160 contest weekend. How lucky
you are!

Later on I heard CX/W1UE, which would have been a new country on 160 for me.
Dennis was having a problem hearing everyone calling him even though he had a
599 signal. Having operated from South America I can totally relate with the
tropical QRN he was probably dealing with. Plus he was twice as far from the US
then PJ4. If you don't a have a good receive antenna you aren't going to hear
anyone up here. I have learned that in all the years I've been operating in
PJ4. Anyway, I spent about 20 minutes trying to work him with no luck. I
figured I was in trouble when K3UA was having trouble being heard and I think
he was operating from K3LR!

Only other multiplier I tried to get but didn't work was KS7T in MT. He was
very weak and had some type of arctic flutter on his signal. I tried to work
him off and on for about 20 minutes before a gave up and called it a night.

See everyone in the SP.

Jeff