[3830] CQWW CW TO8M(LA8OM) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 6 19:18:10 EST 2015

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: TO8M
Operator(s): LA8OM
Station: FM5BH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Ducos

  160:   26     7       11
   80:  488    17       51
   40: 1383    30       95
   20: 1431    33       98
   15: 1302    26       82
   10:  882    19       48

Club: LA Contest Club

Comments:

After several CQWWCW entries from my mountain cabin, with storms and
temperatures around the freezing point, this year's contest was operated in 30
C surroundings. With ambitions and good intentions to depart from my habit of
being carried away with runs (once they occur), the promise to myself this time
was to delve into multiplier search and to change bands at regular intervals. A
written schedule and a desk clock should ensure this. But alas, as the contest
progressed, the mind's excuse was that 'they [the mults] surely must be looking
for me' and hence hardly any time spent on s and p. Thus not entirely satisfied
with the self discipline and the effort, but still lots of fun and an important
lecture (to me) that wherever you are, don’t go light on the multipliers.

One thing I found strange was the amount of (loud) stations that towards the
end called for the 2nd and 3rd time (130 dupes). And some even with wild,
endless looping of their call signs **without a space** between each repeat.
With two or three of these guys ringing at the same time, it is impossible to
decipher their unbroken sequence of 40 wpm code, and the remedy is to move on.
Is this a way for M/M mult-operators to express their boredom when there is no
more to do?

The vacation days on the island of Martinique before and after the contest were
fantastic. And operating from a new region was definitely a positive experience.
I enjoyed 'hearing the world' from a different angle and in periods being at the
other end of good pileups. And warm thanks to Laurent FM5BH for making his fine
station available for a sun seeking northerner!

73
Chris / LA8OM