[3830] ARRL 160 W2GD M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 6 19:28:01 EST 2015

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W2GD
Operator(s): K2SG K2TW KU2C N2HM N2NC N2OO W2CG W2GD W2NO W2OB
Station: W2GD

Class: M/S HP
QTH: SNJ

Total:  QSOs = 1681  Sections = 81  Countries = 56  Total Score = 576,085

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

K3 x 3, 2S1, OM2000HF,   Win-Test Software
2 element vertical Yagi @ 240' with NE, SW and Omni dirction options, Inverted
L Beverage antennas NE, E, S, SW, W, NW, Low Dipole, HI-Z Four

As always our team tries to keep the ARRL 160 a somewhat low key event...it's a
shake-down cruise for the Stew and CQ160...... to test the re-installed two
element TX system on the FM broadcast tower out in the salt marsh near Barnegat
Bay and all the RX options.  We thought we were somewhat ahead of the curve this
time having done most of the TX and beverage cabling the weekend before CQWW CW
(the TX antenna and beverage feedlines are all stored away during the summer
hurricane season).  Setup on Friday presented about the normal number of
challenges both in the shack (a fried 2S1 switch, mislabled cables) and outside
in the woods too (extensive tree damage to five of the six beverages)....but
somehow a full ten minutes before the bell it all came together ready to rock
and roll!  Our thanks to SJDXA members KI4KWR and WS2G for lending a hand.

We got off to one of our best starts ever.  Through the magic of diversity
reception it was so cool to hear both audio streams (main and sub receiver)
filled with signals.  Conditions seemed better than average ... the first hour
was super productive with 176 qsos, 41 sections and 20 countries.  We continued
this triple digit Q pace for the first four hours (see hourly totals below).

The lack of any significant noise, atmospheric or power grid, made the entire
weekend a joy to operate....this is an exceptionally rare occurrence at
"180 Murphy Drive".

It seemed the band acted mostly "normal" with EU stations coming
through in small waves for many hours and then showing signal enhancement near
their sunrise.  In the meantime the west coast started to roll in as their
sundown arrived. We amassed 143 five pointers the first night, and added
another 140 the second.  At sunrise Saturday morning only WTX, SBar, PR AK, and
NT sections were still needed.  Near Saturday sunrise we were pleasantly
surprised logging contacts with both VK and JA.

As usual W2OB came by to operate the Saturday morning daylight shift.  Not many
contacts but we were there trying. Perhaps the ARRL will one day follow CQ's
lead and limit the number of operating hours for the multi-op entries....so the
need for daylight operation can be eliminated.

One thing we noted this weekend was a very high number of blown skimmer
callouts....which very likely contributed to the elevated dupe rates.  The
machines really had a difficult time with K1TR, W1VE, N0TT, and W0DLE to
mention a few. I don't understand why this happens....other than perhaps
marginal reception.

It seemed signals were somewhat better coming from all directions Saturday
evening, but QSB all was an issue this weekend.  Working many weaker EU
stations took the best efforts of three sets of ears listening to grab bits and
pieces of a call as it rode the waves of perception.  N2NC came by for a few
hours...giving the team some break time.  It was fun to work LU and CX from
South America (we heard PY5HOT calling others but no luck).  V31MA called in
Saturday night and we found CO8CM cqing high in the band too.  Never heard KL7
or VY1 this weekend, but WTX, SB and finally PR were eventually logged.  Our
last mult was HK1WR who called in just an hour before sunrise Sunday morning.

Overall our score is about 20% higher than 2014, largely the result of the
enhanced runs of EU stations...we're quite pleased and thank everyone for the
contacts.

Thanks go to our WYRS-FM hosts who make available this superb location for our
top band enjoyment year after year.

See everyone again very soon ... in the Stew Perry and CQ160 CW.

73,

John, W2GD
For the 160 TEAM

W2GD QSOs (without dupes) - By time