[3830] ARRL 160 W1NN Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 6 20:38:08 EST 2015

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 11
Remote Operation

Total:  QSOs = 668  Sections = 75  Countries = 9  Total Score = 114,744

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

Remote from my apartment in Tokyo.

This was a casual, non-serious effort as I was recovering from a bad cold I
came down with after the CQWWDX CW weekend.  160 contests via remote from Japan
are very easy on the body as they start around breakfast time and continue
pretty much until bedtime on both Saturday and Sunday.  I just operated a
couple of hours at a time and enjoyed myself without trying to make a big
score.

In early November N8TR and his XYL Mary came over to help me get one end of my
160 dipole up higher in the tree that supports it.  It is now about 15 feet
higher so I was anxious to see if it made any difference. I think it helped.  I
worked more west coast this year and several EU stations called me, so unless
conditions were much better than last year I would say that the antenna is
working better.

160 contests are always interesting in that they bring out a lot of ops you
never hear in other contests.  I am always amazed at the depth of
participation. It's amazing how many amateurs have antennas for 160.  Very good
activity from Canada.

I managed to work all sections east of the Mississippi and only missed WTX,
ORG, SF, SJV, SB, PAC, AK and NT.  I don't think I ever heard any of these
sections.

It was fun to work my friend W1VE who was operating the K2LE station remotely
from NH.  Remote to remote contacts are so amazing.  There were probably others
but they are impossible to detect.

I'm looking forward to the Stu in a few weeks.

73, Hal W1NN (7J1AAI)