[3830] ARRL 10 PJ6/G3TXF SO CW HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 13 16:15:49 EST 2015

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: PJ6/G3TXF
Operator(s): G3TXF
Station: PJ6/G3TXF

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: Saba

   CW: 1161    89
  SSB:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 1161    89  Total Score = 543,348

Club: Three A's Contest Group

Comments:

Operated as PJ6/G3TXF with a simple 10m wire dipole from a delightful QTH at
1,200ft on the mountainous island of Saba. Excellent take-off to Europe right
over the ocean, but severely blocked towards the USA (and JA on Short-Path).

No-one in North America further west than VO1 was seemingly able to hear me
well thanks to the hill blocking that direction. Consequently missed many W0,
W7 and W5 states. And where was VE6? Nothing heard!

However the trouble working North America was compensated by being able to work
plenty of EU. HF conditions were pretty poor at times. By 1700z on Sunday the
band had gone flat, so gave up the contest early.

Four years ago (2011) when there were many more sunspots around from home (as
G3TXF) I made just over 1m points in this contest on CW. Coming to Saba for
this year's contest I had assumed that 1m points would be relatively easy. No
way! The combination of being stuck behind a hill for the USA and the much
reduced HF conditions put paid to that idea.

It was great fun operating the ARRL 10m Contest as PJ6/G3TXF with a K3S, a
KPA-500 and simple wire dipole at 1,200ft above the sea on Saba.

73 - Nigel PJ6/G3TXF