[3830] ARRL 10 VE9AA SO CW HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 13 18:21:13 EST 2015

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: nb

   CW:
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  587   115  Total Score = 270,020

Well, 10m is certainly showing its age, that's for SURE !

I didn't put in a full time effort as I usually do in this one, 10m being one
of my favorite bands,
but between sleeping, eating, shopping, decorating, honey-do's, helping with
homework, working on cars
and snowblowers, I wedged in about 9 hours to play in this contest this
weekend, and hour here ; an hour there.

It might be our last real kick at the cat for some years.  I don't envision I
(or most) will play in this one at the bottom of
the cycle, hi !)

It was surprising (or not?) to hear so many cut #'s out of EU despite this not
being an overally high rate contest.
I mean, what does AGUT mean? (yes, I can figure it out, but still....it would
be easier just to send the real #)

What baffled me was some of the EU callers who were dishwater weak and they'd
send "VE9AA de XX1XXX 5NN 5NN 35@" and I would go

back and say "NR?" or NR NR...and dead silence.  I envision they
assumed I copied their number and they spun the VFO.
I could probably get away with that, as VE9=NB and nothing else. Has to be.
Logging software should tell you that, but my logging software

won't geuss a serial # for me, hi !  I did not use prefills on the USA stns
either.  Felt it was better this way.

I missed RI, DC, WY and AK in the USA......LB, NF, NU, NWT,  and YT in Canada.
Picked up 8 XE sections.

I was thrilled to work KH6, ZL & VK which really surpised me, given the
extreme lack of DX to the N.East.  No joy on 5W1SA....I heard 3 or

4 QSO's which took him nearly 5 minutes, then he QRT'd.  I think the callers
drove him away.   Still lots of non-IDERS going more than 1

minute (my limit for patience, being non assisted)

I might have 100 EU's in the log...maybe not even that.  No C4Z and my
benchmark guy Olli, DH8BQA was about 3 notches above ESP.  No

Scandanavians, Estonians, Ukraine and no Russians and one single Asiatic
Turkey.  A few LZ's scattered in with the Italians who were very

thin.

The Caribbean did not come out in droves like I had hoped, but most everyone
there was loud at one time or another.  This was nearly like a

6m contest.  Gobs of USA fellas & a few EA/F/G/CT/CU/EA8. (thanks guys !!!)
and I enjoyed every Q.

Hope to see some of you in the STEW PERRY and the RAC Winter contest.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

Mike VE9AA "New Brunswick" (NB)

IC7410, A3S @ 24' & 500w