[3830] ARRL 10 AE0EE SO Mixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 14 20:14:10 EST 2015

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: AE0EE
Operator(s): AE0EE
Station: AE0EE

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: MN

   CW:  142    51
  SSB:   14     9
-------------------
Total:  156    60  Total Score = 35,760

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

100 W, dipole at 25', all CW keyed with an iambic paddle or straight key.

The contest started off well with what seemed to be the Minnesota Wireless
Association QSO Party, and I put 21 QSOs in the log before calling it quits at
0400z.  After sunrise on Saturday, the band was actually open, and I had better
luck getting out of the MN/WI region.

Propagation was generally a challenge for me, as openings tended to be short
(minutes to hour) and sporadic, with deep QSB on a timescale of seconds.  Many
times it was clear that 100 W and a dipole was not going to cut through the
pileup.

Eventually by around 1800z Sunday, I "gave up on search-and-pounce for the
rest of the contest*".  That was one of the better moves I made in the
contest, because it kept my frustration down a bit (just relaxing and
practicing sending CQ AE0EE TEST into the void).  I was startled from my
meditation by a KP2 station (where were they in SS SSB?!), and five unbroken
minutes of sending practice later, a V5!  After a few CA stations, the run
dried up (>10 min of CQ without reply).  Most of the rest of the contest was
S&P for mults or strong signals.

A few goals were met: working new stations for DXCC (HH) and WAS (IN).

* The "rest of the contest" bit only survived an hour or so.  Then I
went back to S&P.