[3830] TBDC K1WHS Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 28 07:39:23 EST 2015

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K1WHS
Operator(s): K1WHS
Station: K1WHS

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN43mj

Total:  QSOs = 515  Total Score = 2,785

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

My first time actually CQing for long periods. I rigged up a laptop for logging
and automatic CW sending with a WIN Keyer to save my shaky hands. I used a
pretty simple setup with a K3 and my homebrew single band amplifier and RG-213
coax to an 80 ft top loaded vertical next to my shop/barn. I have a BNC rotary
switch to select the proper beverage wire. My evening was spent pushing the F1
key with one hand and switching the rotary switch with the other looking for
signals. I thought conditions were awful with that big storm in the midwest and
south causing wall to wall QRN. Luckily, my beverage toward Europe was quiet.
The difference was staggering. Noise levels were 25 dB to 50 dB worse looking
west and southwest. The static crashes were not your normal quick pulses, but
rather long gradual peaks of noise that lasted 5 to 6 seconds oftentimes. I
didn't miss one or two letters, but entire exchanges. The excessive noise also
made for many unreadable callers, and I must apologize that I gave up a few
times on stations that were calling early in the contest. Later on I made an
effort to stick with them until they gave up! I made some improvements this
Fall to the TX antenna by adding over 5000 ft of radial wire, and I think it
made a difference. I also made another beverage aimed at N Africa, but it did
not help much this time. I may have made just a few contacts with it as it was
very quiet in that direction, and losing the static crashes was a big help. I
thought that conditions to the West were awful. The west coast was weak with
not many stations worked, but Europe seemed OK. A rough count of cross Atlantic
QSOs showed about 130 QSOs which is good for me. Unfortunately, my stamina for
staying in the chair is limited, and by 5 am (10:00 UT) I was looking for
something else to do and skipped the sunrise period. I guess I missed some more
QSOs and DX there. (I started rather late at about 2300 UT)I think things would
play better with a better CW op in the chair here. I am improving though. No
one called in with "LID" comments this time, so maybe things are
getting better? Early in the evening during Prime Time my rate was about 85/hr
for about two hours, then it dropped to 40-45/hr until two hours before sunrise
in Europe when the rate spiked up to 55/hr over that two hour period. When it
dropped to 15/hr afterwards, I decided to hit the sack.  Congratulations to all
who braved the QRN and made for a very enjoyable evening. I really love
operating in the Stew.