[3830] ARRL Jan VHF VE3RX Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Feb 6 13:28:31 EST 2015

                    ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes

Call: VE3RX
Operator(s): VE3RX
Station: VE3RX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EN96
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:   1     1
    2:   1     1
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:   2     2  Total Score = 4

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Another futile attempt at the Jan. contest. Was lucky to work one station on 6M,
which had a very skilled operator...
2M was an exercise in futility. Here I am, only 50W and a 13B2, no pre-amp, and
I could hear many contest stations, but none would ever hear me. One has to ask
why? Is it because I'm up "north", and no one turns their beams
north? I managed to work one VE3, but not sure if we got the final
"rogers" to him ok. It may be a "not in log", which will
give me a zero score (or negative??)

I also heard the following:
KA1ZE/2 in FN01, K4XXX in EN91, VA2ST in FN03, a K2Q?? station in FN(12 or
13??), VE2SMA in EN92 and the topping on the cake was K2LIM, FN12 who I heard
many, many times (both CW and SSB), even moving my S meter a bit, but they
never heard me at all.
Seems like the big guns expect everyone else to run high power so they can hear
them. Well, I guess I will sit here in the dark, not giving out my EN96
multiplier if they can't hear me.
Not to rain on the parade, June and Sept. contests are usually a lot better and
more enjoyable. It just seems the Jan. VHF contest is a waste of time for
stations way up north.