[3830] NA Sprint CW N6TV HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 8 00:39:03 EST 2015

                    NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: N6TV
Operator(s): N6TV
Station: N6TV

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA

---------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: NCCC #1

Comments:

Almost 26 years ago my long-time friend Tom, N6BT, installed my tower with a
stack of Hy-gain Yagis, many with custom modifications of his own design.

They have served me very well until last November, when something went wrong
with the 3 ele. 40m beam (Hy-gain Discoverer 7-3).  If I put more than 600W
into the antenna, something would arc over, and the amp. would trip.  Well, you
can't be competitive in a Sprint contest if you're 4 dB down, so today, just
hours before the contest started, with light rain fallings, N6BT replaced BOTH
of the fiberglass insulators on the 40m driven element, and that fixed it!
Many thanks Tom!

Thanks also to cross-town rival K6XX for doing his best to inspect and fix the
same antenna about a week ago, before I had the new insulators on hand.

It seemed like I got a pretty good start, but things faded for me towards the
end.  Heard a VE6 but he was calling K1N I think, so no VE6 in the log.  Missed
mults that are usually easy, including CT, ME, RI, ARK, OK, NV, UT, WY and ND.
DX mults were ZF2DX (three bands!), NP4 and NP2.

Congratulations to N5KO for a really strong performance at W6NL on the hill
above me.  N2IC and N9RV did very well as usual too.

One last note, between the FOC contest, some RTTY contest, and K1N pile-ups,
40m was especially confusing and crowded this year.

Rig:  Elecraft K3 (2)
Amp:  Alpha 87A
Ant:  5 el 20, 3 el 40, 1 el 80
SO2R: microHAM MK2R+