[3830] MnQP NE9U Mobile Single Xmtr LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 9 00:35:38 EST 2015

                    Minnesota QSO Party

Call: NE9U
Operator(s): NE9U KK9K
Station: NE9U

Class: Mobile Single Xmtr LP
QTH:

  160:
   80:      22
   40:     595       65
   20:     376       51
-------------------------
Total:     993      116  Mults = 74  Total Score = 164,132

First time back to the MNQP mobile in a few years.  Fun time as usual.

Ron KK9K, and I have been teaming up the past couple years in the WQP and MIQP.
 More fun to work on radios, antennas, vehicles together than on your own!

This year we brought out new software (TR4W) because our old DOS 486 laptop was
on its last legs.  TR4W work great.  I highly recommend it!

Also new this year was the Vehicle.  We used Rons GMC truck, which two weeks
ago had 20/9 noise on all bands.  Ron thought we could reduce the noise by
following the RF suppression cookbook (I was pessimistic).  But after putting
ground straps on just about anything we could find metal on his truck, we had
just about ZERO noise!!!  The result is I think we were hearing pretty well
this year.  Plus, theoretically our antenna was more efficient....who knows!

Murphy pretty much stayed away...except when we pulled into our hotel parking
lot Friday night and forgot we had a 13 foot tall whip sticking up....tree
branches were about 8 feet off ground...SNAP went the mast.  Luckily it wasn't
anything two hose clamps couldn't fix.

Only other problem was Ron taking a wrong turn early on that cost us a half
hour and me not taking the turn I thought I should late in the contest (road
sign and map did not agree on hwy number)...cost us another half hour.....and
that resulted in us not quite ending up where we wanted to at the end.  We
still got to 26 of our 29 planned counties.

Not sure if it was us, conditions, or participation, but it seemed like the
runs stopped sooner than in past years. The usual suspects would call in and
then the usual stream of casual participants didn't show up.  80 was a real
disappointment...especially late in the day....

All in all, a good time.  See everyone in WQP and hopefully MIQP.

Scott  NE9U
Ron  KK9K

Equipment:

Elecraft K3 (Ron's radio....i'm still not convinced.  :-)
TR4W  (highly recommended by both of us)
Antenna (home brew all band vertical)