[3830] ARRLDX CW K8MR SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 22 20:42:01 EST 2015

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8MR

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: FL

Total:  598   199  Total Score = 357,007

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

I operated in the sunshine from a roadside park overlooking Sarasota Bay. KX3
and 17ft MFJ telescoping whip antenna, with another 16 feet of wire clipped
onto the top for 40 meters, stuck in salt water. It worked quite well to the
north; South America was difficult. Only one other QRP station worked: GJ2A on
15 meters. It was fun finding (and working) lonely good mults like him, XP3A,
D44EE. Found a few more but I couldn't work 'em.

Oddest thing: about 1430Z Sunday I noticed some loud noise. At first it sounded
like line noise, but then realized it was associated with somebody talking. On
all bands (20 and up, including WARC). I'm guessing it was some high power CBer
with a very dirty amp. Fortunately it went away after half an hour or so.

Thanks to all who hung in there to pull me out, especially on 40 meters. If I
was weak, there was a reason!

73  -  Jim  K8MR