[3830] ARRLDX CW NP2N(W2VJN) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Feb 25 19:55:53 EST 2015

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: NP2N
Operator(s): W2VJN
Station: NP2N

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: St Croix

   15: 1120    59
   10: 1026    60
-------------------
Total: 4427   330  Total Score = 4,382,730

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

I thought conditions were not quite as good as when I was here in 2013 but I
managed a slightly better score.  We arrived on Monday afternoon after a long
trip from the PNW.  We started doing antennas and organizing the shack on
Tuesday and finished up with the 160 quarter wave inverted L.  I had built a
replica at home off of my small tower and it measured very close to what Eznec
told me. The NP2N version was essentially the same so the L network I built at
home nulled to 1:1.

My son in law, K7EUG did some SSB operating during the week on 10, 15 and 20.
I was on 160 and 80 a couple of nights using NP2/W2VJN.  Things were working
well.  On Friday the wind was blowing and we heard a crash in the yard as we
were enjoying the beautiful view from the deck.  Going out to the tower we
noticed that the A3S was now a 2 element beam.  We were not prepared to do any
climbing.  The vswr checked about the same on 20 and 15 as it was before and it
actually improved a bit on 10.  So I made the decision to think 3 elements as I
operated in the contest.

There is nothing more fun for this old guy than having a bunch of stations
calling me.  Working all US stations make the pileups easy as signals are
generally loud and easy to read here.  It was so much fun that I think I
operated more hours than ever before in a contest.

Thanks to NP2N for the use of his call and station.  Thanks to K7EUG for the
help

N1MM+
K3
AL1200
Top Ten Band Decoder plus 2 A/B Switches
A3S at 32', Dipoles on 40 and 80, Inv L on 160, tops at 30'