[3830] RTTY Roundup K1RO Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 5 08:16:24 EST 2015

                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: K1RO
Operator(s): K1RO
Station: K1RO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NH

Total: 1807  State/Prov = 60  Countries = 59  Total Score = 215,033

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I was thinking that I would not do this contest full time since I had spent so
much time on the air the past few months with the ARRL Centennial QSO Party,
but in the end I couldn't stay away. I got the computer and second radio set up
Friday night and put up antennas for the second radio on Saturday morning.
Writelog is still working flawlessly after all these years.

Fun contest, but not as much DX as I expected. The incredible amount of W/VE
activity suits my low, small antennas just fine, so I never got bored. The
first couple hours Sunday morning were frustrating when I heard the guys with
big stations running stations I couldn't hear. At first I couldn't get much of
a run going and called a number of multipliers without success, but things
improved for me later in the morning and afternoon.

We had a snow/ice storm for the second RTTY Roundup in a row. This year the
power stayed on but the antennas were detuned for most of Sunday.

Tried high power SO2R this time, sort of.

Station 1 - TS-590S, 600 W, Force 12 XR-6 (2 elements per band) at 25 feet, 40
meter inverted V at 35 feet, 80 meter inverted V at 40 feet.

Station 2 - FT-1000D, 600 W, Cushcraft R7 vertical, another 40 meter inv V at
35 feet.

No band pass filters, so some band combinations were difficult. Couldn't run
too successfully with Station 2, but I was able to keep spinning the knob and
getting answers most of the weekend.

Thanks for all the QSOs.