[3830] RTTY Roundup W4PK SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 5 14:43:53 EST 2015

                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: W4PK
Operator(s): W4PK
Station: W4PK

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 20:53

Total: 1438  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 61  Total Score = 172,560

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

It was slow going at the start of the contest with few signals being heard on
10M.  Conditions were better the next day, including 10M.  My best band this
year was 40M followed closely by 15M.

I started the contest using the excellent N1MM+ software package, but I soon
noticed that when I was running occasionally the program would log the contact
but would not key the transmitter. This happened even though the confirmation
message appeared on the screen.  This was especially true for those stations
who were sending serial numbers.  In other words, I would left-click on the
serial number in the DI window to place it in the entry window, and then
right-click in the DI window to send the message when the other station
finished his transmission.  When this happened I had a button programed for
"last call" with a "CFM" message which I could click on to
let the other station know that I had at least received his message.  My
apologies to those of you who I thought I had acknowledged but missed the fact
that I did not transmit it.

Later on in the contest I had quite a few dupes while I was running and I am
sure that a lot of them were due to the fact that I had failed to send the
confirmation message.

After about 3 hours into the contest I reverted back to the classic version of
N1MM and I had no problems with it afterward.  I will file a bug report with
the developers and I am sure that they will fix this bug as I much prefer N1MM+
over the classic version.  Again, I have to complement the development team for
providing this program to the ham community!  It is a major improvement over
N1MM classic and I am still trying to learn about all the features it
contains.

Overall I had fun and that is what it is all about!

73, Sam W4PK