[3830] CQ160 CW N2CU Single Op Assisted HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 25 10:35:00 EST 2015

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N2CU
Operator(s): N2CU
Station: N2CU

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: NY
Operating Time (hrs): 0:20

Total:  QSOs = 26  State/Prov = 17  Countries = 2  Total Score = 1,330

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

Decided to fore-go Friday night in order to spend some quality time with the
XYL. Set up Saturday evening and made a few QSOs. Europe was coming in pretty
well so started checking spots. IQ9UI was loud already but all I could get was
QRZ? Hmmm... not normal. Then tried loading up into the antenna instead of my
dummy load - SWR was through the roof! Went outside to find the antenna covered
with 1/4" radial ice. Tried shaking it off the guy lines and cleared a path
around the base but to no avail.

Listened around 0550 and Europe was booming in. Switched on my K9AY loops and
they were deaf. Seems like the ice took it's toll on them too. Oh well. Let's
hope for a warmer sunny day to get things back to normal.

K3/100
Drake L7 @ 1kW (minus 999 W reflected)
Inv L @ 46' (aka 1/4 wave dummy load last night)
K9AY loops (ice shielded last night)