[3830] CQ160 CW WQ5L Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 25 17:41:07 EST 2015

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: WQ5L
Operator(s): WQ5L
Station: WQ5L

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MS

Total:  QSOs = 498  State/Prov = 53  Countries = 18  Total Score = 88,395

Friday evening was a QRN fest, so slept early and got up early. In the morning
the QRN died down enough for a nice run with some big signals from west coast
and Hawaii.

Saturday evening the QRN was gone. Around 0200Z, I noticed the wattmeter needle
was now moving a lot less than usual. Checked SWR, it was through the roof. Gah!
Went out in the dark to try to find the problem, no such luck, so kept going
with tuner and reduced power. (did get it fixed in daylight btw)

Per Murphy's Law, this is about when the band cracked wide open with big sigs
from EU up and down the band. Some heard my reduced signal, many didn't. It
seemed I was in good company in that respect though. This opening seemed
somewhat localized with Spain, Italy, central Europe loud but I heard nothing
from France or the British Isles save EI2CN very late.

Finally at sunrise I heard several JAs with good signals S&Ping but by the
time I could squeeze into their window it was too late or I was too weak.

Missed MT, AK, SK, all of Atlantic Canada.

73 de WQ5L