[3830] CQ160 CW KD4D(@W3LPL) Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 25 18:53:21 EST 2015

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: KD4D
Operator(s): KD4D
Station: W3LPL

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:

Total:  QSOs = 922  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 38  Total Score = 256,992

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Because of an uncertain work schedule, I wasn't sure I would be able to do this
contest.  My plans changed and Frank Donovan, W3LPL, kindly offered to let me
use his station for the CQ 160 CW Contest.  Thanks, Frank!

Conditions were better than 2014 at least.  This score is within 12,000 points
of my claimed score last year running High Power!

We discussed what category to enter.  Frank thought we had a chance to win the
US in Low Power or Assisted.  I enjoy operating unassisted, so decided to go
Low Power again - I did a low-power entry in 2013.

Frank has a great M/M station and it is set up for two radios on 160-10 meters.
 I brought a computer and an Array Solutions SO2R Master over Friday and set up
for SO2R.  Running low power, I could hear VERY well on the second radio while
transmitting.  The radios were K3's and I used N1MM Classic.

For transmit antennas, Frank has a full-size four square and a south sloper.
He has a new eight-circle receiving antenna - this is the first time I've used
it and it works GREAT.  If anything, it's TOO directional - I used the
beverages to listen in other directions most of the time. I also had the
transmitting four square and beverages to the west, north east, and south for
listening antennas.  I ended up listening on the eight circle to the north east
and the west beverage for most of the contest.

The strategy for low power really wasn't much different than high power, but
the results ARE.  Run on one radio and sweep the band for QSOs and multipliers.
 I could work MOST of what I heard.

Friday night was TERRIBLE - after the first three hours, I was about 150 QSOs
behind my 2013 Low Power effort.  I only had 20 10-point QSOs all of Friday
night - I had another 62 Saturday night.  In 2013, I worked 186 Europeans.

I even called HV0A twice (just for the heck of it), but had no hope breaking
the pileup.  I wasted too much time calling EF7X -  I did eventually get him
but it took a while.  I had just found P33W when he disappeared and I never
worked him.

I think that I should have pointed the four square west instead of North East
Friday night and early Saturday night.  I was trying to maximize 10-point QSOs,
but there were almost no Europeans calling me until 160 really opened to Europe
about 0415Z Sunday morning.

The high point of the contest for me was having TWO JAs call me Sunday morning.
   I also enjoyed breaking through some large pileups with 100 watts -
especially HK, EA6, LX, HB, and UA2.

I never heard Alaska and missed several Canadian provinces.  Oklahoma and
Montanna were the last states I worked.

Thanks for all the QSOs!

Lots of numbers follow:

Date          Hour   Total
2015-01-23    22     78
2015-01-23    23     67
2015-01-24    0      38
2015-01-24    1      64
2015-01-24    2      41
2015-01-24    3      48
2015-01-24    4      46
2015-01-24    5      38
2015-01-24    6      22
2015-01-24    7      34
2015-01-24    8      25
2015-01-24    9      20
2015-01-24    10     22
2015-01-24    11     33
2015-01-24    12     14
2015-01-24    22     37
2015-01-24    23     25
2015-01-25    0      33
2015-01-25    1      34
2015-01-25    2      16
2015-01-25    3      25
2015-01-25    4      32
2015-01-25    5      25
2015-01-25    6      24
2015-01-25    7      16
2015-01-25    8      18
2015-01-25    9      13
2015-01-25    10     12
2015-01-25    11     14
2015-01-25    12     8
Total         All    922

Country	Total
Total	922
K	781
VE	53
DL	15
OK	7
I	5
G	4
KH6	4
OM	4
UR	4
9A	3
S5	3
CT	2
EA	2
GM	2
HB	2
IT9	2
JA	2
ON	2
PY	2
SP	2
YU	2
CM	1
E7	1
EA6	1
EA8	1
EU	1
HA	1
HI	1
HK	1
KP2	1
KP4	1
LX	1
PA	1
PJ2	1
SM	1
SV	1
UA	1
UA2	1
XE	1
ZF	1

Total	834
NY	59
PA	55
OH	49
VA	47
MI	36
MA	34
MD	34
ON	34
IL	27
NJ	26
TN	26
WI	24
NH	23
MN	21
NC	21
IN	20
AZ	19
TX	19
CT	18
AL	16
GA	16
CA	15
FL	15
CO	13
MO	13
KY	11
SC	11
IA	9
OR	9
WV	9
KS	8
ME	8
NM	8
DE	7
AR	6
QC	6
RI	6
UT	5
WA	5
LA	4
OK	4
VT	4
AB	3
BC	3
DC	3
ID	3
ND	3
NS	3
WY	3
MS	2
MT	2
NE	2
SD	2
MB	1
NB	1
NF	1
NV	1
PEI	1

KD4D - Continents
160 - All modes
QSOs (with dupes)

|   EU   |   NA   |   SA   |   AF   |   AS   |   OC   |