[3830] CQ160 CW W1NN Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 25 19:53:27 EST 2015

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 11.5
Remote Operation

Total:  QSOs = 625  State/Prov = 54  Countries = 6  Total Score = 84,360

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

This was a relaxed, part-time effort remote from Tokyo, where this is a daytime
contest and easy to operate. I operated for the first 5.5 hours straight and
then half an hour here and an hour there for the rest of the contest, missing
most of the prime EU opening times (if there were any).

I missed WA and NV for the lower-48 sweep, and also AK and HI.  K6IJ/KH6 was
pretty strong for a while on the second day but not strong enough to hear my
100 watts and I didn't try very hard.

It's hard to believe that in 2009, my claimed score was 989/56/39 for 256,310
points in 25 hours of operation.  I might have come close to my 2009 Q total
this year if I had put in another 13.5 (very slow) hours, but I don't see how I
could have worked 33 more countries this year. The EU I heard this year was
really weak.  In 2009 I was using an Omni VI, and this year a TS-480 (easily
remotable but not a good contesting radio), with a very similar antenna both
years.  Is the difference the radio or conditions?

After part-time efforts in the ARRL 160, the SP and this one this season, I
realize just how boring this contest can be and how much more fun all band
contests are, at least for someone with a mediocre station like me.