[3830] CQ160 CW VE3CV Single Op Assisted HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 26 10:03:38 EST 2015

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: VE3CV
Operator(s): VE3CV
Station: VE3CV

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: EN93el

Total:  QSOs = 301  State/Prov = 52  Countries = 12  Total Score = 93,824

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

I did an all S&P effort and went Assisted for the first time to find some
new ones on 160.  Well, I had fun spotting all the CCO members running...and
there were a lot of us on!  Only HV0A was a new one spotted, but I couldn't
even hear him with my EU Beverage because of the the non stop
"tail-enders"  What a mess.  Then I find out that there is NO SO(A)
LP category....why I'm not sure, but no big deal.  So I enter as a HP station
for the first time.

Good news was that the 200ft BOG I put out after the ARRL 160 worked great!  It
is 200ft of 12ga insulated wire facing 265deg to Southern California and beyond.
 I had a great time working all I could hear on the west coast and Hawaii.
Really quiet and I didn't need the preamp on.  In contrast, my three Beverages
to NW, S, and NE worked well, but were less of a treat to the ears because of
the noise from the new wind generators in those directions.

Just missed WAS - where was NV?  I heard MS doing S&P and missed AK in the
morning.  Still lots of fun and my 100W got out great as most stations worked
with one call...even the west coast.  Working the Caribbean was not as
easy..conditions were marginal...never got Cuba in the log and J79SB was a
struggle! Thanks to OL7M and CS2F for my only EUs and EA8DBM for Zone 33. Where
was C5X?  Saw lots of DX posted by the big gun stations on the East Coast, but
couldn't hear them for the most part.  So I guess it will be back to
Non-Assisted LP next year as know they are out there, but not being able to h
ear them is too frustrating.
Thanks for all the Qs.
73, Jeff VE3CV

FT1000-MP running 100W into 80m doublet at 50ft as top-loaded vertical.
Beverages and BOG RX Antennas
N1MM Plus worked great!  Thanks guys.