[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K3TUF SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jan 27 15:45:45 EST 2015

                    ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes

Call: K3TUF
Operator(s): K3TUF
Station: K3TUF

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: FN10

  903:   28     8
  1.2:   30     8
  2.3:   20     6
  3.4:    5     4
  5.7:   15     5
  10G:   11     4
  24G:    4     4
-------------------
Total:  462   114  Total Score = 131,784

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

Discovered the affects of the snow on the lower frequency antennas was going to
keep me off 6 and 2 for the first hour.  So I spent that time on search and
pounce with low power until the reflected power came to a reasonable level.
The next several hours were reasonable, but still at a lower rate than in the
past.
This year with the advent of a one time Unlimited category I decided to try it.
  Didn't get much from the assist, perhaps one or two contacts.  There just
aren't that many spots generated for this purpose.  Hopefully with all future
contests going that way we can all start hooking into the dx cluster for
spotting during contests like on HF.
We had a good number of Rover's in the area and I had some 11 band runs with
them.
But for me the contest wasn't going to go very far as I had contracted a cold
and it seemed to degenerate when the contest began.  My voice did somewhat hold
out, but I had to take numerous time off for rest periods.  I ended up with only
16 hours of contest time; and a lot of that was sporatic.   Collapsed into bed
at 7PM for an early end, missing the normal flurry of activity that Sunday
evening always provides.
Equipment wise I only had one malfunction on 3456 where the amp apparently
stopped working; fortunately several stations were able to hear the bleed
through rf and I made more contacts on that band.
Conditions were considerably down likely due to the weather, for example, we
normally speak on SSB during regular 432 Wednesday evening nets but could
barely work EM95 on CW; not a chance on the next higher bands which are normal
for the January VHF contest.
See everyone for the Spring Springs and from W3CCX in June.
Phil K3TUF