[3830] CQ160 CW EF7X(EA7KW) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Jan 29 12:48:27 EST 2015

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: EF7X
Operator(s): EA7KW
Station: EA7PP

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Seville

Total:  QSOs = 491  State/Prov = 35  Countries = 55  Total Score = 291,420

Club: EA Contest Club

Comments:

This was my first CQWW DX 160. The real purpose was to test the transmitting
antenna on the new 26 meters tall fiber post that Spiderbeam provided us for
our contest station at EA7PP. Previously we used the 18 metres fiber post also
from Spiderbeam with an inverted L, tying the horizontal section at the top of
the 24 meters tower and since its end was very near to the other antennas we
presumed that using a longer vertical part it would have less interference to
the other bands and yield a better 160m perfomance.

The installation ended on Friday night using the same radiant with the previous
post and two  tuned elevated radials. Obviously we would not get a proper
adaptation at first and so, the antenna was resonating at a very high frequency
and with a lower impedance than expected. I just made a few QSOs in the
afternoon and evening I decided to sleep to be fresh in the morning for the
antenna work.

With an A/C copper pipe coiled 11 turns, 5 centimeters diameter which we got a
good adaptation in 1860 kHz. To put fir it in the DX band center we added
another 10 turn coil, with transmission line at the joint. The result was
excellent, SWR 1: 1 in 1835 kHz and I could work easily power between 1810 and
1860 Khz.

Without a receiving antenna I did not expect to hear much apart from the strong
stations, but conditions were not bad and in for short periods in the afternoon
I could add some more QSOs. Past midnight local time I started to run
seriously, ending with total of 500 QSOs at dawn. Despite the lack of a
receiving antenna I could complete with some PNW and Southwest North América,
with very nice signals.

For the upcoming ARRL DX we'll set a K9AY, as we can�'t handle larger antennas
in our small plot.

Thanks to all for calling and apologies for my poor reception.

73

José Ramón, EF7X (EA7KW)