[3830] ARRL June VHF W8SPM SO 3Band LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Jul 9 16:01:27 EDT 2015

                    ARRL June VHF Contest

Call: W8SPM
Operator(s): W8SPM
Station: W8SPM

Class: SO 3Band LP
QTH: FM08

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  348    95  Total Score = 33,060

Almost forgot about getting results finished and sent in! I operated from
FM08-Spruce Knob,WV ! During my time on the mountain I had 9 major storms plus
high winds and 2 lightning strikes on the mountain! I have been coming here
since early 1980's and never had witnessed lightning here! The second strike
was at 12:40PM Saturday and hit about 100 yards from my location on the
mountain! I was in process of cranking down my Aluma Tower trailer at 12:40PM
when the second strike hit! The concussion from the strike nearly knocked me
off my feet and it was a miracle the charge did not direct to my 64' tower in
the air ! In the future I will not have tower up if any lightning is predicted
to be in area! The Contest was very difficult for me to operate due to high
static levels and rain noise on the radio ! K1TEO told me after the Contest he
called me several times but I did not respond? He usually is near S9 signal on
any band I operate ! The lightning experience was something I will never forget
and give more respect in the future ! This was my 46th trip to FM08-Spruce Knob!
Sam W8SPM