[3830] IARU W1AW/5(N5IA) SOABMixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jul 13 00:06:05 EDT 2015

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: W1AW/5
Operator(s): N5IA
Station: N5BG

Class: SOABMixed HP
QTH: NM - DM52
Operating Time (hrs): 6
Remote Operation

  160:  111     3      10       3
-------------------------------------
Total:  111     3      10       3  Total Score = 3,848

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

It was an honor to operate signing the ARRL HQ call sign on 160 Meters.  My
operation was a tiny portion of a much larger, across the state, effort to
represent the ARRL from New Mexico in this contest.  The combined QSO count and
overall score for the whole W1AW/5 outing will be reported by the operation
organizer.

The short operating window on 160 Meters at the start of the contest (sunrise
at 1225 Z) yielded only 3 contacts; K5TQ in NM, KO7X in WY, and KH7XX in HI.
The band conditions sounded good but all the single op stations apparently
started their operations on higher bands.

Due to family commitments I was not able to return to the station until after
0530 Z Saturday night local time.  Perhaps most of the casual operators had
already gone to bed.  The band sounded decent but few stations were on.

I made contacts with HQ stations in VE, XE and P4.  DX included HC, KH6 x 2,
P4, PJ2, and XE x 2.  I was spotted by both VK4 and VK6 but I did not hear
their signals through the QRN if they called me.  I was surprised to NOT hear a
single JA signal even though I had about 2 hours of common darkness.

Of the three SSB contacts, one was with the XE HQ station; the only station
contacted on both modes.

There were a couple of weak signal callers whom I never could identify.  My
apologies for not being able to pull your call sign out of the static.  Thanks
for your attempt and also a big thank you to all those that did call in and
made it into the log.

73 for now.  CU all in the fall and winter contests on Top Band.

Milt, N5IA