[3830] IARU W6YX(N7MH) SOABCW LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jul 13 18:36:41 EDT 2015

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: SOABCW LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 23:10

  160:     1    0       1       0
   80:    91    0      11       3
   40:   398    0      25      13
   20:   569    0      33      42
   15:   157    0      15       9
   10:     1    0       1       0
-------------------------------------
Total:  1217    0      86      87  Total Score = 619,497

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I decided to try the LP category and was originally planning to do mixed mode
but there was enough activity on CW to keep me busy so I stuck with CW.

My run frequency was taken over more frequently than if I'd been running high
power.  Using the W6YX FT1000MPs I did not have a panadapter to quickly find
another open frequency so I'd be reduced to a single radio while searching for
a new run frequency.

Getting the EU HQ stations to hear my LP signal on 20 was a challenge until
about 2300Z when I began to be able to work almost anyone I could hear on the
first call.  Trying to run EU on 20 was not successful until much later, after
0530Z, when I had a brief run of 22 EU QSOs in 16 minutes until a loud EU
station started CQing on the frequency.  The only HQ station that I heard on 20
but never worked was OP0HQ who was plenty loud but didn't hear my LP signal.

While tuning across 15 meters late I stumbled across TM0HQ on a skewed path
peaking at 90 degrees.  Thanks to the TM0HQ 15 meter op for sticking with me
and completing the QSO at 2349Z.  I also heard 9A0HQ around the same time and
bearing but got no response.  Earlier in the day I'd only worked 2 Europeans
and hadn't heard many more.

Around 45% of my QSOs were S&P.  Earlier in the contest it was more like
60% but I had some nice runs on 20 and 40 in the last few hours.

Thanks to N6DZ (KX7M?) for 6 bands.  He's the only station I heard on 10 the
few times I checked.  After realizing that our 160 M antenna was not working
and I couldn't get the FT1000MP tuner to tune up on any of our other antennas
on 160 I took a chance and called N6DZ for the lone 160 QSO using an 80 meter
inverted vee.

73,
-Mike, N7MH