[3830] CQWW VHF K1TEO SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jul 20 20:00:54 EDT 2015

                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: K1TEO
Operator(s): K1TEO
Station: K1TEO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CT

Total:  365    94  Total Score = 49,162

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:

After weeks of poor 6 meter condx I was hoping the band would finally pop for
the contest. As many have noted it was not to be. The only loud Es station
worked was EA8DBM with 7 minutes to go. There may have been a few others as
N4BP was in quite a bit though never all that strong. And for about 10 minutes
Sunday morning a few stations in AL, GA and NC were in. It could have been some
scatter as they weren't strong but the duration suggested weak Es. Other than
that there was nothing on 6 at all here. I did have fun operating more cw than
usual which helped out with the scatter contacts mid-day that I rarely work in
an ARRL contest. When 6 isn't open I usually am running around on my other 9
bands. Plenty of time in this one to call CQs on 6, hi!

2 meters was poor much of the time but on Sunday morning there was a little
enhancement as K7BV in FM04 and W4MW in EM96 had good signals and were heard a
number of times. Later VE9AA/FN66 was in well from the NE  and it was nice to
catch Mike. I was suprised to see his low QSO total since he was strong here
for quite awhile but it probably is indicative of the low activity levels.

The flip side of the poor condx and activity is that it was nice to operate a
contest and be able to go out to dinner with my family on Saturday night and
get over 7 hours of sleep. I thought about doing some wsjt work and staying on
but just decided to get the sleep.

One interesting aspect is the level of confusion about he rules, self-spotting,
and setting up contacts on the chat pages. A lot of that was done, perhaps
because after the June contest people assumed it was ok. Looks like CQ should
consider updating the rules to allow this kind of communication. It would have
been especially helpful in a slow contest like this one.

73,
Jeff K1TEO