[3830] IARU CQ8Z M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jul 20 22:35:50 EDT 2015

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: CQ8Z
Operator(s): N6MJ KL9A
Station: CQ8Z

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Sao Miguel, Azores

  160:    23            3       20
   80:    72           10       25
   40:   427           22       38
   20:   746    710    42       50
   15:   591    542    30       48
   10:   145     25    15       29
-------------------------------------
Total:  2004   1277   122      210  Total Score = 3,935,196

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

A portable operation thanks to the CU2ARA club!  A wonderful group of guys who
are very excited about amateur radio.

Antennas:
160m dipole
80m delta loop
20m delta loop

Rigs:
IC7600x2

Commander 2500 Amp

The 20m delta loop was excellent!  The 80 and 160 antennas had problems so we
were not as loud as we should have been.  Used the 80m delta loop on 80, 40,
and 15m.  The 20m loop tuned the best on 10m also.  We blew the MFJ tuner at
prime time an hour or two before sunrise so we missed the big 40m SSB runs and
80/160 into USA.  Luckily 20 was excellent all night so we could at least make
Q's until a replacement arrived.

The Azores are truly a magical QTH!  Such simple (and broken) antennas can make
a lot of Q's from there!

Major thanks to:
Francisco, CU2DX, for organizing this trip after WRTC 2014.  The Azores are a
special place and we will definitely make a point to go back!

The CU2ARA club members for their extraordinary hospitality before, during, and
after the contest.

Not a winning score, but a contest we will remember forever!
Thanks to everyone who called in.  It is always great working friends from a
new location.

73,
Chris KL9A and Dan N6MJ