[3830] WPX CW NQ4I SO(A)AB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 1 08:11:34 EDT 2015

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: NQ4I
Operator(s): NQ4I
Station: NQ4I

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: GA

   20: 1120

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

NQ4I's travel commitments allowed me to make my first SO (A) from Rick's
excellent station.  Being built for M/M, it has the tools needed for an
assisted entry although pulling the station together into a single operating
position has its own challenges.

The WPX format keeps it at the top in the fun category, good rates with lots of
rare DX and only small pile ups.  The concerns I had regarding the low solar
numbers leading into the contest were unfounded as it seemed the lack of 10M
and 80M may have factored into the higher rates on the three primary bands.
10M was very quiet, even to the mostly reliable South American stations.  It
did open both days, late in the afternoon to EU on skewed path but few stations
took advantage of it.  Sunday overall had the better propagation but time was
lost with local thunderstorms that made copying difficult.  Fortunately the
station owner showed up shortly after a voltage spike took out an amp and two
computers and was able to get things back in shape before the end.

Thanks to Rick for the use of his station and congrats to all the excellent
operators who show up yearly for this event.