[3830] WPX CW N7RCS SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 1 22:35:03 EDT 2015

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: N7RCS
Operator(s): N7RCS
Station: N7RCS

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Moscow, ID
Operating Time (hrs):

Very challenging condx for this year's WPX, but still really enjoyed the
contest. On Friday evening here in the Idaho panhandle I was hearing many
European stations but they could not hear the QRP signal from my KX3 through my
simple bent wire dipole wrapped around my roofline about 20 feet up. Around 8 PM
local time started hearing south american stations, but made no contacts.
Switched to 40m around 2100 local time but 30 minutes later a significant
lightning storm came up which forced me off the air till around 2300 local time
at which point I heard but never worked a Cape Verde Island station. Lightning
started again so I went QRT for the day.

Got back on the again on May 31 at about 0330 local time and heard many strong
signals on 40m including China and Russia but, once again, no help from
propagation gods. Didn't log a QSO until almost 0430 local time. Switched to
20m around 0530 local time and made a few contacts. At 0900 I moved to 15m and
made 4 quick contacts. 15m went dead by 1115 local time and I stayed off the
radio till about 1430 local time. In the evening 40m became quite active and
made many contacts.

Sunday morning I made multiple JA contacts. Made back-to-back contacts with New
Zealand and Japan on 15m, but by 1230 local time band condx were deteriorating
on 20 and 15m. Closed out with 177 Q's, which doubled my 2013 outing. Could
have done even better had 40m been open on Saturday.