[3830] TBDC K1LT Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jun 21 17:09:30 EDT 2015

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Summer

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EM89ps

Total:  QSOs = 64  Total Score = 272

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Work and family commitments along with rainy weather prevented me from
doing any maintenance work prior to the summer Stew.  Usually, this
contest is a good excuse to get everything fixed that broke since
winter.  So, one set of verticals of the second phased array was "off
line" because of a short in the RG6 feeder roughly 1/3 of the way out
to the antennas from the shack.

I had to spend a couple of hours figuring out how my audio routing
stuff works so I could set up the scheme that mixes 6 audio channels
into 2 ears.  However, 6 channels of static is just too much, so I
stayed with 2 channels 99% of the time.

I chose low power again so I could avoid getting called by people that
I just can't hear.  This year, there weren't any frustrating attempts
to QSO people who couldn't hear me.

While the static was not extremely strong, it was very consistent, and
at times the waterfall display would just turn completely white (red
in K3/P3 colors) for several seconds at a time.  My assessment is that
these noise conditions were the worst of the summer Stews, so far.

On the other hand, propagation seemed to be very good.  G3SYM called
in with a superb signal that only took a few repeats to find holes in
the static through which to copy his call and grid.  That was my best
DX.  KV4FZ didn't seem to have much trouble copying my low power
signal when I called after dark.  I called before dark (though after
sunset), but he couldn't hear me at all at that time.  I worked K6RK
as my best DX to the west.  I heard HC1PF twice working others, but I
never had a chance to call him.  I heard N7DF working someone, but not
after that.

I applaud those of you who can stay up all night CQing into the noise.
I took a nap with the expectation of waking around 0930Z, which I did,
but I promptly fell asleep again.  I got on about 1200Z but there were
just a few iron men on at that point.

I am typing this after spending a few hours on 6 meters chasing DX.
There was some spectacular sporadic-E that included openings to
Europe, South America, and the west coast.  While CQing, N4NM called
again from EM64.  The same exchange on 160 versus 6 was amusing.  Also
my best 6 meter DX is better than my best 160 meter DX today.  What a
wonderful hobby.

Equipment: K3, P3, 1 tall "T", 14 short verticals, 4 SDR receiver
channels, 6 audio paths, 2 ears, 2 computers, 3 keyboards, 1 lid.