[3830] All Asian CW W1UE(@W1KM) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 22 08:42:28 EDT 2015

                    All Asian DX Contest, CW

Call: W1UE
Operator(s): W1UE
Station: W1KM

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: ma

  160:    0     0
   80:    2     2
   40:   21    18
   20:  209   104
   15:  449   182
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  682   307  Total Score = 210,295

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

No matter which way you go, Asia is a long way from Boston!  I knew going in
that a CME occurred on Friday, with every indication that it would hit the
earth late Saturday/early Sunday UTC.  Hearing that, I decided to stay on 15M
as long as I could produce Qs; from the contest start to my first sleep time at
0500Z, 15M provided the bulk of the contacts with 148Qs; 40/20 provided another
53, as I made a concerted effort to push the 2nd radio hard with either Dual
CQing or S&P.

Things picked up Saturday at 0800Z, when 20m produced some nice runs, but 20M
seemed to close up early as absorption took over; 40M was too noisy to hear
more than the strongest stations, so 20 and 15 took up the slack.  I spent all
day either dual CQing, running on 15M, or S&P on 15/20m.  15M, though, was
the consistent workhorse; I finished the first 24 hours with 495Qs, 334 of them
on 15M.

The second day was no where as good as the first; the bands started going
downhill early, and I went to bed at 0300Z instead of 0500Z, figuring on an
early 20m start on Sunday.  40M to JA was better Sunday morning, but local rain
noise kept the noise high.  I lost 2-3 hours Sunday due to rain static; no local
lightning or thunder, but the rain static was S9 wiping out most of the Asian
signals on 15/20M.  It didn't affect 10M, but the only Asian station I worked
on 10M all weekend was 5B/RN3QO on Saturday.  Never heard a JA on 10M, even
though I spent some time listening whenever one was spotted.

Antennas:
80M: 4-square
40M: 3el at 36m
20M: 5el at 27m
15M: 6el at 30m
10M: 4/4/4el at 27/18/9m
Station: Two K3s and Acom 2000A, YCCC SO2RBox

Best QSO: Working XW1IC on 20M at 2223Z Sunday; he was audible all day long,
but the size of the pileup and his weak signal kept me from working him.  10
minutes after I worked him, I couldn't hear him at all.

Thanks to Greg W1KM for the use of his great station.

Dennis W1UE