[3830] ARRL FD N6ZZ 2B LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 29 16:47:10 EDT 2015

                    ARRL Field Day

Call: N6ZZ
Operator(s): N2IC N5FO
Station: N6ZZ

Class: 2B LP
QTH: New Mexico

  160:
   80:   207     24
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  2131   1513   3644  Total Score = 11,550

This Field Day was in honor and memory of my good friend Phil Goetz, N6ZZ. Phil
became a silent key in 2007. Hard to believe it was that long ago.

By southwest New Mexico standards, we have had a wet spring, so there were no
restrictions on generator usage in the national forest. N5FO and I found a
place called Lookout Point, and it was 4-wheel drive accessible, about 45
minutes from town, and 1 1/2 hours from my QTH. It's not really a point. There
is a flat area of several acres on top, and then it drops off moderately
steeply in all directions. It has mostly tall Ponderosa Pines that have been
thinned recently to reduce the fire danger. We set up on the NE edge of the
flat area, to hopefully take advantage of the terrain dropoff. Instead of
dragging 30' of Rohn 25 and a tribander up there, we put up a bunch of wires,
ropes and strings. Ended up with 3 elements on 20, 3 elements on 15, suspended
from the same rope boom. Put all the 20 meter elements behind all the 15 meter
elements, so any interaction would be positive. The rope boom was up 50 feet,
and the elements were put up as inverted vees. On 40 and 80 we had true
flat-top dipoles (not inverted vees), also up about 50 feet. The slingshot
worked really well for getting over the trees. This may all sound simple, but
for 2 people doing all the work, it still took about 6 hours on Friday. It
would have been nice to have something pointed NW, too, but, again, it's
surprising how long everything takes. Nevertheless, a lot easier and safer than
messing with a tower.

Saturday AM didn't go quite so well. We discovered we were short a microphone
and a cable. (Mis)communicated with my XYL to get some stuff from the shack and
meet me in town. That didn't go well. Borrowed a hand mic and the needed cable
from WA0QJE (Thanks, Bob). Back at the site at T-minus 1.5 hours, nothing yet
set up in the tent. As usual, the radio stuff was easy, the computer stuff was
not. Everything finally working at 1758Z.

Knew within 10 minutes this was going to be fun ! I started on 15 CW, Sam on 20
CW. I had a huge pileup for the first 30 minutes. 20 seemed a little absorptive,
but Sam was doing okay. For the first FD in many years, doing phone was not an
exercise in puny weak frustration. Height, gain and location do matter (Duh !).
Two or three CQ's and we each generated pileups, any band except 80, any time.
The rate meter peaked above 300, but then the FD lid factor would bring it back
down. Even 40 played really well. 80 was okay, but it's summer and we are far
from everywhere. Great Es Sunday morning on 15. Threw up a low 10 meter dipole
at 17Z, because 10 was begging for us to be there. The weather was great.
Perfect temperatures day and night. Storms stayed north and west of us. Phil
was definitely helping us from above ! 10 minutes after the end on Sunday, we
got pounded. A wet takedown after the lightning moved on. We'll be back there
next year, if generators are allowed.