[3830] ARRLDX SSB N7GP(N5IA) SOSB/160 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 8 11:37:38 EDT 2015

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N7GP
Operator(s): N5IA
Station: N5IA

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: AZ -- DM52
Operating Time (hrs): 8
Remote Operation

  160:  45     34
Total:  45     34  Total Score = 4,590

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

FIRST NIGHT:  NP4A and KV4FZ were both good copy an hour before sunset.  Hmmmm,
good conditions tonight?  Which station would hear me and be the first in the
log?

NP4A won and was logged at 0133.  KV4FZ the same at 0159.  The balance of the
evening I was able to log all the usual Caribbean, Central America, and South
America suspects with the exception of TO5A.  He seemed to have difficulty in
hearing almost all stations.

EE8Z, CS2C, CU2CE and CR3L were the only 'across the pond' stations heard and
worked.

The last entry for the night was TI5M at 1018.  Directional CQing to the South
Pacific, deep Pacific and North Pacific from 0730 until 1100 hours produced
just 2 contacts from KH6 and one contact from KL7.

SECOND NIGHT:  C6ATF was an easy 100 Watt entry at 0122.  Wow, tonight is going
to be better than last night!!!  Wrong!!!  Almost immediately at full darkness a
pall set over the band from this location.  Among others, P49Y was very weak and
I couldn't hear the east coast stations calling him.  I barely could hear the
east coast super stations of K3LR, W3LPL, WE3C and W2FM.

No additional stations were heard until PX5E came out of the noise with a great
signal and was logged at 0417.  The band slowly started to quiet and at 0500,
with the EU terminator halfway across the continent, some weak EU stations
started to be heard.  During the 0500 hour I was able to add multiplier
contacts with II9P, E7DX, 9A1A, IR4M, ED7P, and TM6M.

As the terminator started to clear the last of the western EU countries I could
hear no more stations. I decided to call CQ hoping some EU stations might now be
searching and listening in their 'quiet time' to the west.  Sure enough, I was
rewarded by calls from M8M and EI7M.

The sole missing station heard but not worked from NIGHT ONE, TO5A, showed up
and was worked at 0700.  That was the last log entry.  Directional calling to
the South Pacific until ZL land was in total darkness again produced zero
contacts from that part of the world.

So ends this season of TopBand contesting for me.  Thanks to everyone for all
the Qs through the fall and winter months.  CU all next season.

73 de Milt, N5IA, operator of N7GP