[3830] ARRLDX SSB KT8K SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 8 20:33:33 EDT 2015

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: KT8K
Operator(s): KT8K
Station: KT8K

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: EN82cg SE Michigan
Operating Time (hrs): 19:37

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
   40:    8     8
Total:  330   149  Total Score = 147,510

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

What fun, in spite of the fact I didn't really prepare for it (duh).
Contesting near the sunspot peak is always great.  Family stuff took me away
until Saturday AM and other things intruded as well, but I'll plan better next
time.

As it was, the upper bands were pretty good but 20m and even 15m got crowded
and noisy, especially Sunday.  Conditions weren't as good Sunday as Saturday,
either.  I was unable to make myself heard on 80 or 160 at all, and 40m was a
real challenge, so I spent almost all my time on the higher bands transmitting
through the vertical triband dipole with the Orion in diversity mode, the
auxiliary receiver on one of the other antennas.

Thanks to all who listened hard for me.  I can totally understand why some hams
don't run phone contests, and why they especially don't run phone contests QRP.
The hours of sub-10 Q/hour rates are discouraging.  But when the magic happens
and someone actually hears me - it's exciting!
I look forward to putting you all in the log in WPX SSB. (I can dream, can't
I?)
Best RX to all & 72 de kt8k - Tim

equipment: Tentec Orion running 5 Watts, WGA headset w. foot switch, ancient
laptop running N1MM+
antennas: 20/40/80m inverted vee (a 'W', actually) up about 45 feet
- 10/15/20 trap dipole (Cushcraft A3 driven element) suspended vertically in
the trees about 60 feet up
- 500 foot horizontal loop from 15 to 60 feet up, fed with TV twin lead and an
LDG Z-11 autotuner
- K9AY loop (may not be intact - the deer may have damaged it again over the
winter - the deer have been all over my in-town lot this year, eating the seeds
under the bird feeders)