[3830] ARRLDX SSB W5CF SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 8 22:42:16 EDT 2015

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W5CF
Operator(s): W5CF
Station: W5CF

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: NM

   80:   11     8
Total:  260   133  Total Score = 103,740

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

W5CF Soap-Box
My main GOAL for this contest, yes it’s a man thing: I downloaded and (gasp)
actually read the manual for N1MM. I wanted to put into practice the new things
I learned. Going over to the NI5T super-station, things are all set up and ready
to go for us. Setting it up on my own computer and using it here at my station
allowed me to “play” with things with out worrying about screwing it up.

The big thing was learning how to make the self spots work, so that in S&P
mode I could tell whether I had checked the QSO, or needed to come back to it.
I also learned the difference between the space bar, and the tab key. Lots of
little things, but it was well worth the work in preparation for the NMQSO
party coming up.

Things at my little station were slow but steady. Max Q run was only about 10,
with rates of about .4 per minute over several hours.

I was able to get my trapped dipole up (only about 18’) but it was much
quieter than the vertical on RX. I used both for TX and I did a lot of
switching. 80M is my weakest band, and only a handful of contacts were made
there.

Of interest, I was able to work 5 stations on 5 bands (no 160M) including 6Y2M,
C6ANA, YA2AA, and NP2X. A bunch of others were worked on 4 bands (no 80M  or
160).

Things certainly slowed down on the second day, and “fresh meat’ was few
and far between. As the contacts grew and I watched the score, I had a
“roaming goal” that moved up continually. Finally I shot for 100K, and
achieved that Sunday morning.

Band	Q’s 	Mults
80	11	8
40	48	27
20	70	38
15	56	27
10	75	33
	260	133
			103, 740

Overall all it was lots of fun.  73 de W5CF