[3830] ARRLDX SSB P49Y M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 8 23:29:47 EDT 2015

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: P49Y
Operator(s): AA6VB AE6Y K0DQ N4OC
Station: P49Y

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Aruba

--------------------
Total: 11932   342  Total Score = 12,216,582

This was a relatively casual Multi-2 operation just to have more fun than is
possible in the relatively constrained world of a M/S in this contest.  The
Admirals, Scott (K0DQ) and Ed (N4OC), joined me as station owner (AE6Y) and my
law partner Bob (AA6VB). After the first few hours we basically operated two
radios with one operator on each radio with a four-hour-on, four-hour-off watch
schedule.

Although Bob is an experienced dxer from home, this was his first real contest
operation, and his first time handling pileups from the DX end.  He progressed
hugely during the contest and kept his end up.  He says he enjoyed the
challenge and the collegiality, and is definitely on his way to becoming a rate
junkie like the rest of us.

Conditions were pretty good, except that we had a terrible noise level on 160.
We have beverages that normally work well, but 160 this time was just awful.
Our mult total on that band is the worst we have ever had, and many moves
failed.  At one point a guy told me there were many stations calling, but I
couldn't hear any of them.  Apologies to one and all.  It was very
frustrating.

Our other contest excuse was some kind of strong local noise that wiped out 15
meters for several hours on Sunday morning. We gotta work on that one. But,
overall we had a really nice time, and are now set to enjoy the lovely Aruban
weather (assuming the fierce rains of the past week are over, that is).

BTW: Congratulations to local Aruban Lisandro, P43L, who has been developing
his own HF station and got his feet wet in this contest in a big way.  Welcome
to the Club! And congratulations to the crew at TI5W for a fine showing.

Thanks to everyone for the Qs, and particularly to those we couldn't hear on
the top band. Also thanks to John (W6LD) and Ed (W0YK) for doing a whole bunch
of antenna repair work after their recent ARRL CW contest, and leaving things
in great shape, and network-ready, for us.  Scott, by the way, is a real
computer guru with Win-Test, and had our four computers set up (with some
advice from N6TV) and working perfectly all weekend.

A full write-up will be on our web site, www.arubaqth.com.

73, Andy, AE6Y

Rig: K3/Alpha 86 x2, Win-Test logging
Ant: 2 el 10, 5 el 15, 4 el 20, 2 el 40, 1 el 80, H-dipole 160, C31, beverages.