[3830] ARRLDX SSB KH6/N0JK SOSB/10 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 9 03:06:40 EDT 2015

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: KH6/N0JK
Operator(s): N0JK
Station: KH6/N0JK

Class: SOSB/10 LP
QTH: HI

   10:  17     13
-------------------
Total:  17     13  Total Score = 663

A casual 10 meter vacation effort. Operated mobile from my car an hour Saturday
from the dock at Maalea while waiting to pick up my son who went deep sea
fishing, and again Sunday morning from a beach near Baldwin Park on Maui. I
used a collapsible whip and mag. mount on the car. Only 5 Qs Saturday. SWR was
high with output only ~ 10 watts. Solar flare ~ 2200z then killed prop. I
extended the whip a foot on Sunday with piece of a wire -- SWR now low and full
power going out. Beachside location helped.

Agree with NA2U at KH7M "From Hawaii, ARRL is easier from here than CQWW
but that does not mean it is easy. Lots to consider." I noted most W/VE
stations Sunday morning Hawaii time were looking towards Europe or South
America. Thus not easy to get their attention or get a run going. Several such
as VA3DX and W5PR were worked off the back or side of their antennas. When they
pointed out towards the Pacific - said "I had a good signal." Neat to
work W0BH in Kansas who manages the KS QSO Party. I shut down at 2000z Sunday
to go horseback riding with my daughter at a ranch on Haleakala Mt.