[3830] ARRLDX SSB W0AO SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 9 20:58:20 EDT 2015

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W0AO
Operator(s): W0AO
Station: W0AO

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: MO

   15:  39     25
   10:  50     16
-------------------
Total:  89     41  Total Score = 10,947

Club: Kansas City DX Club

Comments:

Operated from a local park (very low noise level).  On Saturday I set up a 15
meter ground plane using a 20 ft. fishing pole with 18 ga. speaker wire and
some temporary fence posts (the plastic kind that you can push into the ground
with your foot.  Used velcro bands to lash the pole to one of the fence posts
and 4 other fence posts to hold out the ground plane.   Had a few curious
onlookers so I also made some casual QSO's on 17 meters so I could put them on
the air.  On Sunday I used the same setup but the ground plane was cut for 10
meters.  All power was provided by a 4S4P LiFePO4 battery from Buddipole.  Ran
the radio at full power - 100W.  Only used about 1/2 of the battery each day.
The entire setup is back-packable.  Beautiful weather in Kansas City area the
whole weekend.  The most amazing signal I heard was S9 plus a bunch from VP5H
who was running 5 watts.  Thanks for the QSO's.