[3830] Rus DX OH0X(OH6KZP) SO Mixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 22 14:08:10 EDT 2015

                    Russian DX Contest

Call: OH0X
Operator(s): OH6KZP
Station: OH0X

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: Brando

  160:   207    33       44        46
   80:   321   198       60        63
   40:   452   244       79        68
   20:   534   335       90        74
   15:   276   119       91        64
   10:   166    24       65        47
Total:  1956   953      429       362  Total Score = 14,348,740

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

Conditions here in the north were less than stellar due to the major geomagnetic
event earlier this week. Fortunately the great level of RDXC activity
compensated! 15m and especially 10m were clearly down from "the
usual", which resulted in some desperate multiplier hunting with ESP QSOs.
On the one hand there were DX openings even on 10m, but on the other hand the
openings were not sustained, especially up here.

The station performed well, and the current handicaps of only a single
shortened 2-el 40m antenna and one 160m sloper (pointed away from UA!) weren't
too big of a deal in this contest. I was able to work most stations I heard,
and hopefully the ESP QSOs won't cause a dent in the UBN report...

This was one of the first mixed-mode contests I've worked using Win-Test.
Generally it functioned well, although I did notice some irregularities when
Radio1 is on a different mode than Radio2. For example, clicking a spot in the
second radio bandmap may change the mode of Radio1 in the log (but not in the
actual radio!) and thus result in irregularities such as no TX on Radio1 from
the Function keys. Typing "CW" or "SSB" manually in the log
window rectifies the issue. WT also crashed a few times on Sunday morning for
some reason during a QSO, each time after sending on Radio2. Fortunately it was
possible to re-start without trouble (except with some stations probably
wondering what an idiot the operator must be :) )

Every contest results in different observations, and this time I paid attention
to an unusually high number of Turkish stations, fb! Thanks to our team for all
support, to Tonno ES5TV for an exciting race on cqcontest.net, and special
thanks to Anton OG2K/0 for moving through the bands with me for my
"own" country multiplier. Finally, thanks to all for the QSOs and for
a weekend of fun.

73
Kim