[3830] BARTG 8P2K(8P6SH) SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 22 23:21:07 EDT 2015

                    BARTG HF RTTY Contest

Call: 8P2K
Operator(s): 8P6SH
Station: 8P6SH

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: DX

   80:
   40:   50      14         13
   20:   81      12         13
   15:  149      23         13
   10:  151      32         12
-----------------------------------
Total:  431      81         51  Continents = 6  Total Score = 341,352

Wow! What a test of human endurance. Talk about poor conditions. I had planned
to make a big effort in this contest but the poor propagation and some
unexpected chores scuttled that plan.

Was great to work the stations I did. Thanks to all those who pulled my LP sigs
out of the noise. A couple things I didn't like: the number of stations that ask
for many repeats and then give the shortest possible exchange. Chances are if it
was difficult for me to be heard, I will find it just as tough to copy you.

Also a number of stations I worked did not initially transmit the time. Since
conditions were so bad anyway I'd simply explain that I needed their time
especially as a number of them gave me number "001" as their
exchange. What I could not understand is the number of stations with high
serial numbers (050+) who sent a report without the time - making me ask for a
repeat.

The highlight for me was working 7QAA for a new band (10m) and a new mode. Also
managed to work a few stations on the four bands I was active on (K7ABC, AD5XD,
AA4DD, w6SX,and maybe one or two more.

What is surprising to me is how open 10m seemed to be from my QTH. Mostly I
would see no-one on the band but once I called CQ when I would get a response
it would be 59 suggesting the band to be wide open. Am no expert but maybe 10m
was displaying its VHF face this week-end. (I am also active on 6m and we've
been seeing some great propogation this last week - trans-atlantic and into
Asia).

Thanks again to all who made the week-end efforts worth it. Thanks too to BARTG
for their continued sponsorship. This is one of my favourite RTTY contests so
look forward to seeing you next year.

73 - Dean 8P6SH/8P2K