[3830] WPX SSB NA1DX SO(A)AB(TS) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 29 21:43:20 EDT 2015

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: NA1DX
Operator(s): NA1DX
Station: NA1DX

Class: SO(A)AB(TS) HP
QTH: Maryland
Operating Time (hrs):

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

The last two years I had WPX SSB World 1st for QRP All Band Assisted.  This
 year I played HP Assisted to build points towards the 5M award. Rob N3HU
 loaned me an AL-82 to use with my K3.

 Over the last two months, Barry K3NDM helped me deploy a K9AY RX antenna,
 and then build and deploy two Inverted Marconi Ls for 160m and 80m.  Then a
 couple of weeks ago Barry and I put up a vertical 40m Quad Loop
 (23.5'x46').  Those supplemented my Mosley TA-33 on top of the AB-577.  I
 also removed my OCF antennas and 160m vertical to reduce possible
 interaction. Friday before the contest, I laid out some more radials for
 the 80m Inverted L and RX Apex Loop.

 And for the first time in a very long time, I was able to start a contest
 ready and on time.  I was even able to start on 40m with an opening run.
 That alone was worth all the work the last few months.

 My main Heil iC headset stopped working the week before the contest.  I
 sent it to heil and got it back on Friday.  I had ordered from Amazon the
 Yamaha CM500, but it picked up my breathing.  After getting it adjusted, I
 just did not like it well enough to contest with it using vox.  So, I used
 my Heil iC Pro.  I got good audio and signal reports.

 It was a personal best in total Qs, Points, prefixes, BIC, and late evening
 Qs on the lower bands.  I had to quit each night earlier than I wanted, as
 my station is over my daughters room and she gets up early for work.  I
 turned up the gain on the Heil and whispered into the headset.  I went
 until I was tired and my qso rate fell off.

 I got up before sunrise on Saturday and 4 am Sunday.   I was able to get
 some more DX low band points before moving up the bands.

 The upper bands were hot and cold.  10m was late opening Saturday and did
 not open Sunday except to SA.  20m sounded mushy and 10m was cold.  But 15m
 was hot more than not.  I ran when I thought I could, and when I didn't I
 did S&P.  A big part of Sunday was CQing primarily NAs to make what Qs I
 could and get what prefixes I could.

 I got more JAs and south east asia Qs than in the past, as well as worked
 VKs off the back of the tribander and no problem with the 40m quad loop.

 A few lessoned learned to tweak before WPX CW and Sweepstakes next fall.
 But, I am pretty settled now with my overall setup.