[3830] WPX SSB KW7Y(K7RL) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 30 23:21:36 EDT 2015

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KW7Y
Operator(s): K7RL
Station: K7RL

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: WA

   15: 1247

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

This felt like two different contests in the same weekend. Day one: “Hey, this
is fun!” Day two: “Where the #$%@# did everyone go? And why is everyone so
damn weak?"

The highly variable conditions made it difficult to pre-plan an effective time
off schedule. Consequently, I went by how the bands were producing and took
time off when it seemed to make sense. The biggest mistake was having one hour
of “off” time left, and waiting until the end of the contest to take it. I
think conditions improved significantly towards the end, so that gamble was a
complete fail.

One of funniest moments in the contest was working NR5M for the first time,
when George gave me #2576, only for me to give him the same number in return!
What are the odds? Not sure if he thought I was some LID having fun at his
expense, but it was a cool and memorable moment. Maybe it’s time to buy that
lottery ticket?

I couldn’t figure out a good way to switch the audio between radios to hand
out serial numbers, so this effort was SO1R. I supposed that’s what happens
when one waits 20 minutes before the contest to start to work out those
details.

Congratulations to K1LZ on a monster score in tough conditions. Heard some
other big numbers throughout the weekend, so congratulations to those stations
too.

Thanks to the real KW7Y for letting me use his call, and thanks to all for the
Qs!

73, Mitch, K7RL (KW7Y)