[3830] 7QP AA7CR(@W7EWB) M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 3 14:42:40 EDT 2015

                    7th Call Area QSO Party

Call: AA7CR
Operator(s): W7VO W7CAR W7VOX K5IRT W6WHD WA7YXY KG7ASQ AE7FI WB7RDE
Station: W7EWB

Class: M/S HP
QTH: OR

  160:   0       0      0
   80:   0      18      0
   40:   0     220      0
   20:   0     544      0
   15:   0      59      0
   10:   0       0      0
    6:   0       0      0
    2:   0       0      0
----------------------------
Total:   0     841      0  Mults = 65  Total Score = 109,330

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

The "informal" Columbia River DX Club had a great time operating from
the QTH of Ed, W7EWB and his wife Linda, KE7TUU this year. We had a few
challenges:

1. There were no 40M or 80M antennas up at their place before the contest, so
we put up some quick inverted Vees on the Thursday before the contest. They
worked surprisingly well.

1. The logging computer decided to upgrade itself from Windows 8.0 to 8.1 about
4 hours into the contest. This put N1MM+ out of commission for a couple of hours
as the computer upgraded itself and VERY slowly came back to life.  Thanks
Microsoft! We had to rely on using manual paper logs in the mean time, then had
to add and edit the times on the contacts in N1MM+ after the fact before we
could use the station again. What a pain...

2. Band conditions were dreadfully awful. 15 meters barely opened and fluttered
in and out, 10 meters was essentially dead, 20 Meters was very noisy in the
afternoon. 40M was better than expected, except we had issues with several
intentional jammers late in the evening while we were attempting to run.
Ignoring them did not make them go away, unfortunately.

But, all in all, we again had a wonderful time with our great ham friends,
getting some newbies "on the air", and giving out contacts for ORCOL!