[3830] 7QP N8II SOMixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed May 6 16:43:12 EDT 2015

                    7th Call Area QSO Party

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOMixed LP
QTH: WV

  160:    0      0      0
   80:    2      0      0
   40:   34      4      0
   20:  141    117      0
   15:  102     65      0
   10:    1      4      0
----------------------------
Total:  280    181      0  Mults = 148  Total Score = 180,560

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Conditions were about as good as they could be on 40-15M for a solar flux barely
above 100. The K index stayed in the 1-2 range, many EU were heard on 15 and 20
off the back corners of the yagis. This was a welcome change from the
RUDX/VAQP/OKQP weekend when disturbed conditions partially or totally (RUDX)
ruined chances of a good score and from day 2 of the WPX SSB. 20 was noticeably
better during mid day/afternoon compared to last year and 15 conditions seemed
much the same as last year except slower to open, but phone activity seemed way
down, only 65 Q's this year vs. 115 in 2014. 15 didn't seem to be utilized
especially on phone until around 16Z despite being open well by 15Z. This was
probably due to many 7th area to 7th area QSO's on 20 with Es which also
happened on 15 around 16-18Z. I should have tuned 20 phone more during the mid
day period. 20 CW sounded pretty good, but a few of the mobiles seemed to be
too weak to be found and worked. 10 was very lonely despite a fairly long
opening around 20-23Z to AZ with loud signals. More AZ stations should have
been running up there, W7W seemed to be running a good rate on 10 SSB for quite
a while.

Mobile and county expedition activity seemed to be down a bit especially after
01Z compared to last year. ID seemed not as well covered by mobiles as last
year, but there was great MT coverage thanks to Jerry, K5YAA and WW7D! Jerry
stuck to around 14041 kHz most of the time making it easy to rack up many MT
counties with 22 QSO's, many thanks! Dick, N7XU was like the family cat, hard
to find and even harder to catch. I must have heard him at least 6 times while
I was S&P'ing calling other 7's! He called me once and I did work him 8
more times; thanks for running that long route. Guf, KS5A (4 Q's) and Jim,
KK6MC (10 Q's) made it easy to find them working 15 CW well into the evening
when almost everyone else had migrated down to 20. Many thanks also to mobile
Randy K7TQ for rare ID + WA counties with 23 Q's! Also thanks to WW7D for 6 Q's
and N8WA for 4.
I ended up just 3 counties shy of last year, better than I thought I had done.

My Q totals on both 15 and 20 phone were way down from last year and 10 was
down  46 Q's (no big evening opening). 15 and 20 CW were slightly better. Due
to a early shut down at 0330Z, 40 and 80 were down quite a bit from last year.
I enjoyed playing, but I was played out and mobile activity seemed done except
for K5YAA. 80 did not sound very good around 0315Z with high QRN, 40 sounded
pretty good. After NEQP shuts down, 80 gets much easier.

There are contests and especially QSO parties that are a long slog; fortunately
7QP stays quite interesting. Many thanks for all of the QSO's and I hope to see
you again next year with hopefully some good conditions and activity.

73, Jeff