[3830] 50SprngSprnt K9JK/R(@C0ROVEROLLA) Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri May 15 23:28:00 EDT 2015

                    50 MHz Spring Sprint

Call: K9JK/R
Operator(s): K9JK
Station: C0ROVEROLLA

Class: Rover LP
QTH: IL-EN51/52/61/62

Total:  QSOs = 57  Mults = 27  Tot Dist(km) = 5516  Total Score = 1,539

A decision to operate from near a grid corner in the 'flatlands' appears
to have been a good choice for conditions which were, appropriately,
'flat' (though there might have been a little bit of a tropo duct to the
east) and activity which was quite good for a 50 MHz Spring Sprint around
Chicago. WHERE WAS THE E-SKIP?

Mults total is based on 'classic' Rover scoring; count mults separately
fromeach grid-4 visited and add them up. Eight unique grids worked.

Breakdown by Grid-4s I visited:

Grid Qs Ms
EN51 17  7
EN52 15  8
EN61 12  6
EN62 13  6
Tot. 57 27 = 1539

Total DX - 5516 km

Seven more QSOs than Spring of 2014 but NINE more multipliers.

Of the 57 QSOs, there were 18 different calls, all fixed stations (no help
from grid square dancing with another rover) and TWELVE of those 18 stations
dug my signal out of the noise from all FOUR of the grids I visited, which
really helped my overall multiplier total.

Four contacts completed with Russ, KB8U, were my longest path lengths of the
evening based on Russ's EN71rx location: 290 km each from EN51xx and EN52xa
and 283 km each from EN61ax and EN62aa. (175-180 miles) Thanks Russ.

Other longER paths were to KF8QL (just 1 Q at 226 km for EN72), N9DG (4 Qs
ranging from 214-222 km for EN53) and K2DRH (4 Qs ranging from 182-190 km
fof EN41). Thanks Dave, Duane and Bob.

A slight surprise was not finding a 'local' station on from EN61 (most of
the City of Chicago is in EN61 as well as some close in suburbs). Fortunately,

a station from the NE corner of EN61 over in Michigan was on and we made
contact from two of the Grids I visited (just over 150 km each) or EN61 would
have escaped MY log. Thanks Dave, KA8TBW. Several stations mentioned that I
was the only station THEY had heard/contacted in EN61.

EN52 was my most prolific target with 26 of my 57 QSOs, 9 of the 18 calls I
worked and 5 of the 12 fixed stations that I worked from all four of the grids

I visited. The path lengths for my QSOs to EN52 ranged from 5-155 km.

Thanks also to ALL who were on, active and participated in the 2015 50 MHz
Spring Sprint. Continued thanks to Kent, KA2KQM, and Mike, WB8BZK, for their
work as the Spring Sprint hosting team and to the Central States VHF Society
for their sponsorship of the Spring Sprint series. Thanks also to Bruce,
WA7BNM, for providing the 3830scores web page and for supporting both the
Spring AND Fall VHF & Up Sprint events.

73, JK