[3830] WPX CW W4PK SO(A)SB80 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 31 15:06:26 EDT 2015

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: W4PK
Operator(s): W4PK
Station: W4PK

Class: SO(A)SB80 HP
QTH: VA

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I had too many things to do this weekend so I elected to go single-band 80M.  I
have a 4-square plus a low horizontal dipole for this band so I thought I could
be heard with my running 1.5KW.  But a lot of the European stations I called
kept on CQing even after multiple attempts.  On the other hand when I made an
attempt at running I could tell that EU stations were calling but I just could
not pull them out through the static.

Most of my contacts were made by S&Ping but even then I had difficulty
pulling their serial numbers out of the static.  Only those stations in the US
and Canada were strong enough to allow me to copy their serial numbers without
having to ask for repeats. About 70% of my contacts were with EU and I did snag
3 stations in AS.

The static was horrendous both Friday and Saturday but it did subside some late
both nights. But I did not stay up late either night since I had commitments
both Saturday and Sunday mornings.

I also noted that stations in the Caribbean, Central and South America as well
as US/VE were better copy on my low dipole rather than the 4-square. Usually
the 4-square is as good as or better than the dipole even for close-by
stations.

Thanks for sticking with me so that I could get your serial number.  I was
successful on most (but not all) of my contacts.

73, Sam W4PK