[3830] SS CW N1CC Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 8 19:05:40 EST 2015

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: N1CC
Operator(s): N1CC
Station: N1CC

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: North Texas

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Elecraft K3/100 running 5W output.  Force 12 C3 @64' and 80/40 Fan Dipoles at
50' one N/S the other E/W.  WriteLog V11.28J for logging.  Internet used to
monitor WEATHER conditions on Saturday, until the storms finally moved off
towards the east coast.  No other use of Internet or eMail during the operation
.. totally "off Grid" for Ham Radio.

I was surprised that on Saturday 95% of my calls were answered the first time,
and I was able to create decent runs calling CQ.  About 50-50 S&P and Run.
Sunday morning we had "that" A Index of 40+ and about 80% of my
contacts needed repeats.  I worked a few QRP guys too, most were strong, a few
were way down in the mud and required work!

Once some of the "spirited" B-Power guys discover you are running
QRP, they like to move right up to your frequency.  Most by their
"CK" are not brand-new, however, they are in the generation called
"post-code".  100 and 200 Hz is really too close for a 1.5 kW
(Possibly more...) guy to belly up to the bar and start hollering for the
barkeep and maids.  Sunday these guys, in particular, a 1x3 fellow from the
Northeast plunked down on me with his sloppy code, and then followed me around
for a while ... so, I took a break.  You can bet that call won't be any of my
logs ever.  Since he was 50dB over S9, I know he is either tone deaf, using a
code reader, and/or is a plain "stupid" person.  I have the audio
files if the contest committee wants to hear them.

Other than those "little" irritations this was fun contest, lots of
folks with good clean signals, good code, and know how to operate.  Since some
of the "good" grades are newbies, I think that Contest University and
the helping hands traditional to Ham radio are still in good stead and used!

I completed the Clean Sweep at 1832Z Sunday, having to use VY1AAA as the only
NT found, even though there is controversy about the remote-technique in use.
Perhaps some rules will be changed that will take the "stigma" away
for good.