[3830] SS CW K8ND SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 8 23:21:18 EST 2015

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K8ND
Operator(s): K8ND
Station: K8ND

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: OHIO
Operating Time (hrs): 22:00

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

It's been a long while since I operated Sweepstakes for more than 200 QSOs. I
used this contest as a way to get familiar with N1MM Logger+, which I will need
to use at PJ2T for CQWW CW since someone made a decision to scrap Writelog.

In addition to the things I already dislike about N1MM+ (I have a growing
list), it crashed *twice* during the contest period, locking up and requiring a
full PC reboot to recover each time. It dumped error logs each time, which I
assume that someone will want to examine.

I didn't really have an offtime strategy, as I wasn't planning on more than a
few hours of serious operating. I kept setting a series of small goals, and
that ended up with 22 hours of operating (and rebooting my PC and N1MM).

I found just before the contest that the 20m part of my KT-34XA tribander would
present a high SWR on keying peaks at powers over 800W, kicking the amp offline,
but when I put a tuner in front of it, it behaved well enough to use at full
power. I needed it to work VY1AAA for the Sweep!

Long ago, when I set up this station for Sweepstakes, I included some NVIS
antennas for 40 and 20 meters, and those long-gone antennas were missed this
weekend!

Radio:  Elecraft K3/100
Amp:    Alpha 91B (With new tubes!)
Antennas: