[3830] SS CW W6PH Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 9 17:33:56 EST 2015

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: W6PH

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Lone Pine CA

Club: Bishop ARC

Comments:

K3 + Expert 1.3-FA  (SO 1.5R listening on FTdx3000)
Win-Test (works just like CT)
Antennas:
80m: 1/4 wave sloper below 3L-20
40m: 40-2CD at 60 feet
20m: 3L-20 at 60 feet
15m: 5L-15 at 60 feet

Temporary antennas on three AB-577 masts

I'm still trying to reach that 1200 contact threshold but it eluded me again.

The upper bands were very mediocre and 15m shut down earlier than last year.
Likewise 20m died at sundown and I went to 40m which was long.  When I finally
went to 80m to work my friend W6SX, I found I had been missing a very quiet
band that was open both long and short.  It had a great foot print and there
was no QRN.

I finished the first day only needing ND and NT and had 726 contacts.  Early
Sunday morning KE0A called in for ND.  I subsequently worked three more.  I was
running on 20m and listening on 15m for any new stations and heard VY1AAA
calling CQ without any answers.  I turned my 15m yagi north and his signal came
up to S7.  I pounced on him which was easy as no other stations were calling
him.  He asked how his signal was and I gave him 579.  He remarked that he
couldn't get any answers.

Finding a spot to CQ was fairly easy all weekend as activity seemed a little
down.  There were quite a few clicky signals on the air but easy to stay away
from.

I'm still trying to find a way to ask for a repeat on PREC.  About half the
time the station repeats everything except the PREC.  Many times when asking
for a specific piece to repeat, the station would resend the whole exchange.  I
wonder if stations no longer use a paddle or the big knob on the radio.

Many QRP stations had reasonable signals.  But many didn't and it took several
tries to get their complete exchanges.  On a couple occasions I got their call
sign but their signal vanished into the noise before I could get their exchange
and no contact was made.  I just sent "NO QSO" and went on.

I spent Monday morning chatting with friends about the SS.  That is as much fun
as the contest itself as we all have highlights and lowlights.

I took a single off time from 11:30 pm until 4:30 am and quit at 6 pm.  In
prior SS contests, the last hour had been very unproductive.  So stopping one
hour before the end didn't really hurt my score.

Besides Cal QSO Party, this is my second favorite contest.  I remember when it
was two weekends and you sent your birth date in the exchange with paper logs
and paper dupe sheets.  I am glad those days are over!  K1EA changed all that
with CT in the late 80's.

I'm still trying to figure a way to explain to normal people why I do this.

73, Kurt W6PH  (CK 55 ORG)